In the UK Easter is one of the major Christian festivals of the year. It is full of customs, folklore and traditional food. However, Easter in Britain has its beginnings long before the arrival of Christianity.
- Many theologians believe Easter itself is named after the Anglo-Saxon goddess of the dawn and spring - Eostre.
In Britain Easter occurs at a different time each year. It is observed on the first Sunday after the first full moon following the first day of spring in the Northern Hemisphere. This means that the festival can occur on any Sunday between March 22 and April 25.
- Not only is Easter the end of the winter it is also the end of Lent, traditionally a time of fasting in the Christian calendar.
It is therefore often a time of fun and celebration…. And lots and lots of chocolate. It’s basically an excuse to just go CRAZY for chocolate.
Now on to the Easter Bunny.
The exact origins of the Easter bunny are clouded in mystery. One theory is that the symbol of the rabbit stems from pagan tradition, specifically the festival of Eostre—a goddess of fertility whose animal symbol was a bunny.
- Rabbits, known for their energetic breeding, have traditionally symbolised fertility.
The Hare was a popular motif in medieval church art. It was widely believed that this animal was a hermaphrodite, this came from the idea that Hare could reproduce without the loss of virginity.
- This lead to the association with the Virgin Mary.
And what about the eggs?
Eggs are representative of new life, and it's believed that decorating eggs for Easter dates back to the 13th century. Hundreds of years ago, churches had their congregations abstain from eggs during Lent, allowing them to be consumed again on Easter.
- According to some history, in the 19th century Russian high society started exchanging ornately decorated eggs—even jewel encrusted—on Easter.
Which, I think, is pretty cool!
Here is one of our favourite products for Easter. A cute, little bunny poking its head up! It's engraved onto a matt black mug for a beautifully minimal finish. You can find it on our online store.